Friday, July 13, 2012
Lovely,Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber Made More Money Than Adele in the Past Year
Only three non-musicians made the list: Kristen Stewart ($34.5 million), Taylor Lautner ($26.5 million), and Robert Pattinson ($28.5 million). Noticeably absent was performer Miley Cyrus, who put her music career on pause to work on a couple movies. Unfortunately, LOL only made $46,500 in its limited release earlier this year, and So Undercover has yet to be released.
Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber Made More Money Than Adele in the Past Year
(Getty)It's a weird, weird world we live in. Adele's critically-acclaimed sophomore album 21 has been ruling the charts for well over a year now, but she still made less cash than a number of her poppy peers. Justin Bieber may have to dip into his buckets of gold to settle with a woman who's suing him for destroying her hearing. Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson are on a mission to bring evil back. Here's the news.
• Andrew WK unveiled the world's first pizza guitar with ESP this week on Pitchfork TV. You really have to watch from 1:35 onward.
• Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, and Lana Del Rey had a sleepover at the Chateau Marmont this week. Gaga teased Lohan about her low-calorie cucumber snack on Twitter at one point, writing, "When you ordered a cucumber and a knife to the bar last night, I thought your were gonna perform a vasectomy #justaskinnyb*8ch," but later erased the tweets. The trio supposedly spent the evening watching old movies and playing board games. Zzzzz.
• Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson will co-headline a tour through U.S. and Europe because of course they will. Zombie stated, "Finally! Why did the most obvious tour take so long to happen? Who knows? Who cares? It's happening now. If good taste is the chief enemy of great art, then we should be able to fill the Louvre with this f**king tour. Be prepared for something wicked this way a-coming."
• The-Dream has backed away from some nasty, passive aggressive things he said yesterday on Twitter, claiming that his words were not about his ex-wife Christina Milian but simply a bizarrely timed response to some unnamed fan's question. Uh huh.
The-Dream wrote, "I just figured out people are attaching twitter things to Someone yesterday. Actually I was answering a Fan openly like I always do but..... Excluded they're Name. So I'm sicerely Sorry if anyone was offended. Christina is a Good Parent and a Great role model."
The mega-producer went on to say he wanted to keep his childrens' lives as private as possible and that he wished Milian well: "all things need Time. I have no strife with Christina for I know this life is To Long someXs you fght those u love most."
• One of my current favorite bands, Caveman, has just unveiled a haunting new music video for their song "Old Friend." It's the least annoying high-concept music video we've seen in months, and features an appearance from Extremely Sexy Individual Peter Saarsgaard.
• Taylor Swift is the top-earning celebrity under 30, Forbes reports. The country crossover queen reportedly raked in an impressive $57 million between May 2011 and 2012, giving her the freedom to live out the rest of her sparkly, dreamy life in a Disneyland castle populated with fuzzy wuzzy kittens, if she so desires. While Swift sold nowhere near the number of albums that British singer-songwriter Adele has moved, she augmented her income with tour ticket sales and lucrative licensing deals (fairy tale princess perfumes, basically).
• One Oregon woman is hoping to land some of that Bieber cash: Stacey Wilson Betts claims her ear drums ruptured when she attended one of Justin's concerts with her daughter in 2010. In one of the suit's more colorful passages, Betts alleges:
[Bieber] created a wave-like effect of screaming by pointing into various sections of the arena. Then enticed the crowd into a frenzy of screams by continuously waving his arms in a quick and upward motion.
Bet you Betts will face at least a few poorly spelled death threats on Twitter for this.